Welcome to my blog! I know it's been a long time coming, but if you know me well, you know that I am very computer illiterate, so this kind of thing intimidates me to no end. I'm figuring it all out, though, and really enjoying it. The question is, where do I start?
Life is so different for me than it was just three and a half months ago. You would think after 5 years of college that I would have some kind of idea of where my life was headed, but as I reached the end of August after working at camp, I was still as clueless as my first day at A&M. I struggled through many different options (none of which I could get the least bit excited about) and lost a lot of sleep, but somehow, by some whirlwind act of God's mysterious providence, I ended up on a plane to New York city. I'm here working as a live-in nanny for a wealthy Jewish family in the city. Technically I would say that I am more of a personal assistant to the mom since the two girls are at school and activities all day. So, my days are spent roaming the city, shopping for things I could never afford myself in stores I'd only seen in movies and read about in the Devil Wears Prada. Needless to say, my metro cards are well-used as well as my feet. One of my favorite things is being able to walk anywhere and everywhere. Also, riding the bus and train is ideal time to read, so I never leave the apartment without a book. One of my favorite times of the day is the early morning, before anyone in the apartment is up. I love to sit out on the balcony and watch the sun rise up over the East river (see picture below). I have to soak it all in because I won't see the sun for the rest of the day!
On a slow day, when I do not have much to do, I'll go take a dance class at a studio on Broadway. There are extensive choices of styles and education here, the oportunities are limitless. I have been taking a lot of contemporary jazz since I've been here, which is for the most part new to me and very challenging. The movement is diagonal and awkward, so I'm learning to use muscles I never knew existed! It's so much fun and a wonderful therapeutic break from the stress of my job. I sill feel at home when I am dancing.
The structure and content of my job in this new culture is so foreign to me, it's taken some time and tears to get used to. It also can be very lonely at times. Even though there are people all around me all the time and there's always something going on, the city can still be very lonely. By God's sweet grace, though, I found a church home and family right away. I love the church and thrive on it more than I ever have before. I became a member of Apostles Church about a month ago and am anxious to see the Lord's vision for it prosper in such a needy area of the city. I could go on forever about my excitement for the church and all the Lord's revealing to me, but I'll save that for another time.
Slowly, but surely, I'm getting used to living my life here and learning to love it. One thing is for sure, this place ain't nothing like Texas...
No comments:
Post a Comment